The COVID 19 crisis illuminated the need for animal shelters across Canada to adjust their operations in order to not only focus on protection, adoption and education, but also to provide critical social and community support to companion animal loving Canadians who may be suffering financially in this uncertain time.
As the financial crisis continues, shelters have reported an increasing need from their community particularly for pet food. Support mechanisms are needed now to ensure that families can afford to keep their beloved companion animals. In order to meet this need, Humane Canada has launched a grant program providing funding and support to organizations helping vulnerable companion animals stay with their families through access to pet food and care items
To be eligible for a grant, organizations must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Have not previously received Humane Canada’s Pet Food Bank grant.
- Be a qualified donee as per the Canadian Revenue Agency and therefore a registered Canadian charity.
- If the organization houses animals, all pets are cared for in a safe, caring, clean and socially enriched environment. Organizations must not treat any animals in an abusive or inhumane manner.
- Have a physical shelter in a business district (non-residential) with posted hours of operation for viewing and pet adoption and/or be an established companion animal support organization or be a registered Food Bank.
- Sign an agreement to use the funds as stated in your application and provide all required reporting.
- Complete this application and provide all requested documents – incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will only be accepted through the submission platform (Submittable) from October 21, 2021 to 5 PM EST November 4, 2021 for grants up to $7,500. Because of resource limitations, not all grant applicants will receive funding and not all will receive the amount requested.
Recommendations to award a grant and the amount given, will be made by a Grant Review Committee, final grant award decisions are made by Humane Canada™.
All grant funds will be awarded in December 2021.